Wednesday, 22 June 2022

Safety reminder of House fire – Erith

Firefighters have issued a white goods safety reminder after a house fire on St Brides Close in Erith.

Half of the first floor of a mid-terraced house was damaged by fire. One man left the building before the Brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and involved a fridge freezer.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “If your white goods start making a strange noise, don’t ignore it. If you think there’s a problem always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.

"Most fires where white goods are the source of ignition are not down to anything you have done – so always make sure you register your appliances as you’ll be informed if any issues are identified with the product you’ve bought.

“This incident is also a reminder to test your smoke alarms. There were smoke alarms fitted inside the property, but they didn’t operate.

“Smoke alarms give the earliest possible warning when a fire starts. We encourage everyone to have smoke alarms fitted in every room where a fire could start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen. It's important to test them regularly.”

The Brigade was called at 0026 and the fire was under control by 0118. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Plumstead, Erith, Bexley and East Greenwich fire stations attended the scene.

Beware of BP fuel card scams circulating on Facebook

  click image to view enlarged Rising fuel costs are on scammers’ radars, inspiring them to create new ways of tempting you to part with you...