Monday 5 October 2020

Beware Fake 'test and trace' scams

This is a warning about the latest scam relating to Covid Track & Trace.  The conversation goes like this:

"Good afternoon I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service.  According to our system you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19,  This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test"
"OK. Can you tell me who that person was"
"I'm not able to tell you that. It is confidential information"
"Right, so what happens next"
"You need to be tested within 72 hours. So can I get the best mailing address so that we can send you a test kit?"
"OK and gives address"
"I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you."
"Sorry - a payment card?  I thought this was all free?"
"No - I'm afraid not.  There is a one-off fee of £50.00 for the kit and test results.  Could you read off the long card number for me please, as soon as you are ready"
"No - that is not right.  This is part of the NHS so there is no charge."
"I'm afraid there is.  Can you give me your card number please - this is very important and there are penalties for not complying"

At this point the person being called put down the phone! It is a scam PLEASE don't fall for it no matter how much pressure you are put under. Please take care and stay safe. 

 

Only use official GOV COVID-19 for guidance


The best and worst banks for online security

Weaknesses in some banks’ security could leave customers exposed to scammers, as we rate the best and worst firms for keeping customers safe...